So then I thought about churches. And I could totally be off here, but if someone comes to your church, don't they expect to here about God, and maybe even Jesus? Did someone already invite them? Did someone already tell them about Jesus? Did they hear the audible voice of God say "get to church"?
When someone comes to Starbucks, the Barista doesn't explain the way the coffee beans are grown and processed to become the awesome beverage you are enjoying. No, they make it and you enjoy. In church we need to present Christ and let people enjoy him. How to present Christ?
- Be yourself and reflect his love to everyone who walks through the door. Everyone!! If by being yourself you are judgemental and unhappy about life, you may need to do some self evaluation. Ask someone that will tell you the truth, not someone who surgarcoats it.
- If you are a teaching Pastor, teach a practical life lesson, something anyone can start applying to their everyday journey.
- You must believe in the product, or in the case of the church, the message of Christ. If you really don't think Christ can change lives, well, you might want to talk to him about that.
- Celebrate change. When Starbucks announced the new instant coffee, I didn't hear one employee at my, yes my, store complain about it. In fact they were giving out free samples.
- I call the Starbucks I go to "my store", because it is where I spend my money and time. Let people know that you support "your church". I don't bash other Starbucks stores, there is only one other in Decatur at Target, but I celebrate the whole Starbucks experience. We should celebrate the Kingdom of God the same way. You may have your favorite place to worship, but don't bash the church down the street.